From top left: Forest Park Jewel Box, Metro Link at Lambert-St. In 1764, following France's defeat in the Seven Years' War, the area was ceded to Spain and retroceded back to France in 1800.
Prior to European settlement, the area was a major regional center of Native American Mississippian culture. Louis was founded in 1764 by French fur traders Pierre Laclède and Auguste Chouteau, and named after Louis IX of France.
Though they were originally only granted rights to set-up a trading post, Laclede and other members of his expedition quickly set up a settlement.
Some historians believe that Laclede's determination to create this settlement was the result of his affair with a married woman Marie-Thérèse Bourgeois Chouteau in New Orleans.
Laclede on his initial expedition was accompanied by his young stepson, Auguste Chouteau.